On 1/9/23 23:52, Tom Lane wrote:
BTW, if this does bring the probability of failure down to the
one-in-a-billion range, I think we could also nuke the whole
"ignore:" business, simplifying pg_regress and allowing the
random test to be run in parallel with others.
With 'ignore' option we get used to cover by tests some of the time dependent features, such as "statement_timeout", "idle_in_transaction_session_timeout", usage of user timeouts in extensions and so on.

We have used the pg_sleep() function to interrupt a query at certain execution phase. But on some platforms, especially in containers, the query can vary execution time in so widely that the pg_sleep() timeout, required to get rid of dependency on a query execution time, has become unacceptable. So, the "ignore" option was the best choice.

For Now, Do we only have the "isolation tests" option to create stable execution time-dependent tests now? Or I'm not aware about some test machinery?

--
Regards
Andrey Lepikhov