On 7/13/23 01:48, Jeff Davis wrote:
On Wed, 2023-07-12 at 03:47 +0200, Vik Fearing wrote:

There is no RETURNING clause in Standard SQL, and the way they would
do
this is:

      SELECT ...
      FROM OLD TABLE (
          MERGE ...
      ) AS m

The rules for that for MERGE are well defined.

I only see OLD TABLE referenced as part of a trigger definition. Where
is it defined for MERGE?

Look up <data change delta table> for that syntax. For how MERGE generates those, see 9075-2:2023 Section 14.12 <merge statement> General Rules 6.b and 6.c.

In any case, as long as the SQL standard doesn't conflict, then we're
fine. And it looks unlikely to cause a conflict right now that wouldn't
also be a conflict with our existing RETURNING clause elsewhere, so I'm
not seeing a problem here.

I do not see a problem either, which was what I was trying to express (perhaps poorly). At least not with the syntax. I have not yet tested that the returned rows match the standard.
--
Vik Fearing