> My idea of an ideal solution is the introduction of the possibility to use
> "any" pseudotype as return type with possibility to set default return
> type. Now, "any" is allowed only for arguments. The planner can set the
> expected type when it knows it, or can use the default type.
>
> so for extraction of jsonb field we can use FUNCTION
> jsonb_extract_field(jsonb, text) RETURNS "any" DEFAULT jsonb

Is this an existing framework or do you want to create something new?

> if we call SELECT jsonb_extract_field(..., 'x') -> then it returns jsonb,
> if we use SELECT jsonb_extract_field('...', 'x')::date, then it returns date

If so, what is the difference from the current  jsonb->'f'   and
(jsonb->'f' )::date?

> With this possibility we don't need to touch to cast functions, and we can
> simply implement similar functions for other non atomic types.

What do you mean by "atomic type" here?   If you want to introduce some new
framework,  I think we need a very clear benefit.

--
Best Regards
Andy Fan