On 5 June 2018 at 13:06, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentr...@2ndquadrant.com>
wrote:

> On 6/5/18 03:09, Michael Paquier wrote:
> > I just had a quick look at this patch, lured by the smell of your latest
> > messages...  And it seems to me that this patch needs a heavy amount of
> > work as presented.  There are a couple of things which are not really
> > nice, like forcing the presentation of the compression option in the
> > startup packet to begin with.
>
> Yeah, at this point we will probably need a discussion and explanation
> of the protocol behavior this is adding, such as how to negotiate
> different compression settings.
>
> Unrelatedly, I suggest skipping the addition of -Z options to various
> client-side tools.  This is unnecessary, since generic connection
> options can already be specified via -d typically, and it creates
> confusion because -Z is already used to specify output compression by
> some programs.

As the maintainer of the JDBC driver I would think we would also like to
leverage this as well.

There are a few other drivers that implement the protocol as well and I'm
sure they would want in as well.
I haven't looked at the patch but if we get to the point of negotiating
compression please let me know.

Thanks,

Dave Cramer

da...@postgresintl.com