On 12/6/23 13:59, Daniel Verite wrote:
        Andrew Dunstan wrote:

IMNSHO, we should produce either a single JSON document (the ARRAY case) or a series of JSON documents, one per row (the LINES case).

"COPY Operations" in the doc says:

" The backend sends a CopyOutResponse message to the frontend, followed
    by zero or more CopyData messages (always one per row), followed by
    CopyDone".

In the ARRAY case, the first messages with the copyjsontest
regression test look like this (tshark output):

PostgreSQL
     Type: CopyOut response
     Length: 13
     Format: Text (0)
     Columns: 3
        Format: Text (0)
PostgreSQL
     Type: Copy data
     Length: 6
     Copy data: 5b0a
PostgreSQL
     Type: Copy data
     Length: 76
     Copy data:
207b226964223a312c226631223a226c696e652077697468205c2220696e2069743a2031…

The first Copy data message with contents "5b0a" does not qualify
as a row of data with 3 columns as advertised in the CopyOut
message. Isn't that a problem?

Is it a real problem, or just a bit of documentation change that I missed?

Anything receiving this and looking for a json array should know how to assemble the data correctly despite the extra CopyData messages.

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team