On 2/19/24 13:13, Andres Freund wrote:
On 2024-02-19 09:19:16 -0500, Joe Conway wrote:
Couldn't we scale the rounding, e.g. allow small allocations as we do now,
but above some number always round? E.g. maybe >= 2GB round to the nearest
256MB, >= 4GB round to the nearest 512MB, >= 8GB round to the nearest 1GB,
etc?

That'd make the translation considerably more expensive. Which is important,
given how common an operation this is.

Perhaps it is not practical, doesn't help, or maybe I misunderstand, but my intent was that the rounding be done/enforced when setting the GUC value which surely cannot be that often.

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team