On Mon, Mar 18, 2024 at 10:24:00AM +0100, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> FTR I had a rather unpleasant time last week upon finding a wait event
> named PgSleep.  If you grep for that, there are no matches at all; and I
> spent ten minutes (for real) trying to figure out where that was coming
> from, until I remembered this thread.
>
> Now you have to guess that not only random lowercasing is happening, but
> also underscore removal.  This is not a good developer experience and I
> think we should rethink this choice.  It would be infinitely more
> usable, and not one bit more difficult, to make these lines be
>
> WAIT_EVENT_FOO_BAR    FooBar  "Waiting on Foo Bar."
>
> then there is no guessing involved.

This has already gone through a couple of adjustments in 59cbf60c0f2b
and 183a60a628fe.  The latter has led to the elimination of one column
in the txt file, as a reply to the same kind of comments about the
format of this file:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20230705215939.ulnfbr4zavb2x7ri%40awork3.anarazel.de

FWIW, I still like better what we have currently, where it is possible
to grep the enum values in the source code.
--
Michael