3 comments left that are inconsequential. Feel free to ignore.

+# Meson has its own distribution building command (meson dist), but we
+# are not using that at this point.  The main problem is that the way
+# they have implemented it, it is not deterministic.  Also, we want it
+# to be equivalent to the "make" version for the time being.  But the
+# target name "dist" in meson is reserved for that reason, so we call
+# the custom target "pgdist".

The second sentence is a run-on.

+if bzip2.found()
+  tar_bz2 = custom_target('tar.bz2',
+    build_always_stale: true,
+    command: [git, '-C', '@SOURCE_ROOT@',
+              '-c', 'core.autocrlf=false',
+              '-c', 'tar.tar.bz2.command="' + bzip2.path() + '" -c',
+              'archive',
+              '--format', 'tar.bz2',
+              '--prefix', distdir + '/',
+              '-o', join_paths(meson.build_root(), '@OUTPUT@'),
+              'HEAD', '.'],
+    install: false,
+    output: distdir + '.tar.bz2',
+  )

You might find Meson's string formatting syntax creates a more readable command string:

'tar.tar.bz2.command=@0@ -c'.format(bzip2.path())

And then 'install: false' is the default if you feel like leaving it out.

Otherwise, let's get this in!

--
Tristan Partin
Neon (https://neon.tech)