On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 01:47:38PM -0300, Ranier Vilela wrote:
> Em qua., 27 de mar. de 2024 às 13:41, Nathan Bossart <
> nathandboss...@gmail.com> escreveu:
>> On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 01:21:23PM -0300, Ranier Vilela wrote:
>> > I think that left an oversight in a commit d365ae7
>> > <
>> https://github.com/postgres/postgres/commit/d365ae705409f5d9c81da4b668f59c3598feb512
>> >
>> > If the admin_role is a NULL pointer, so, can be dereferenced
>> > in the main loop of the function roles_is_member_of and
>> > worst, IMO, can be destroying aleatory memory?
>> >
>> > First, is a better shortcut test to check if admin_role is NOT NULL.
>> > Second, !OidIsValid(*admin_role), It doesn't seem necessary anymore.
>> >
>> > Or am I losing something?
>>
>> If admin_role is NULL, then admin_of is expected to be set to InvalidOid.
>> See the assertion at the top of the function.  AFAICT the code that
>> dereferences admin_role short-circuits if admin_of is invalid.
>>
> These conditions seem a little fragile and confusing to me.
> When a simple test, it protects the pointer and avoids a series of tests,
> which are unnecessary if the pointer is invalid.

Maybe.  But that doesn't seem like an oversight in commit d365ae7.

-                       if (otherid == admin_of && form->admin_option &&
-                               OidIsValid(admin_of) &&
!OidIsValid(*admin_role))
+                       if (admin_role != NULL && otherid == admin_of &&
form->admin_option &&
+                               OidIsValid(admin_of))
                                *admin_role = memberid;

I'm not following why it's safe to remove the !OidIsValid(*admin_role)
check here.  We don't want to overwrite a previously-set value of
*admin_role, as per the comment above roles_is_member_of():

 * If admin_of is not InvalidOid, this function sets *admin_role, either
 * to the OID of the first role in the result list that directly possesses
 * ADMIN OPTION on the role corresponding to admin_of, or to InvalidOid if
 * there is no such role.

--
Nathan Bossart