On 18.04.24 09:02, Michael Paquier wrote:
On Fri, Apr 12, 2024 at 09:36:36AM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
log_backtrace speaks a bit more to me as a name for this stuff because
it logs a backtrace.  Now, there is consistency on HEAD as well
because these GUCs are all prefixed with "backtrace_".  Would
something like a backtrace_mode where we have an enum rather than a
boolean be better?  One thing would be to redesign the existing GUC as
having two values on HEAD as of:
- "none", to log nothing.
- "internal", to log backtraces for internal errors.

Then this could be extended with more modes, to discuss in future
releases as new features.

As this is an open item, let's move on here.

Attached is a proposal of patch for this open item, switching
backtrace_on_internal_error to backtrace_mode with two values:
- "none", to log no backtraces.
- "internal", to log backtraces for internal errors.

The rest of the proposals had better happen as a v18 discussion, where
extending this GUC is a benefit.

Why exactly is this an open item? Is there anything wrong with the existing feature?