Hello,

30.01.2024 09:22, Ashutosh Bapat wrote:

Please look at the segmentation fault triggered by the following query since
4d969b2f8:
CREATE TABLE t1(a text COMPRESSION pglz);
CREATE TABLE t2(a text);
CREATE TABLE t3() INHERITS(t1, t2);
NOTICE:  merging multiple inherited definitions of column "a"
          before or while processing the request.

Core was generated by `postgres: law regression [local] CREATE TABLE
                     '.
Program terminated with signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.

(gdb) bt
#0  __strcmp_avx2 () at ../sysdeps/x86_64/multiarch/strcmp-avx2.S:116
#1  0x00005606fbcc9d52 in MergeAttributes (columns=0x0,
supers=supers@entry=0x5606fe293d30, relpersistence=112 'p',
is_partition=false, supconstr=supconstr@entry=0x7fff4046d410,
supnotnulls=supnotnulls@entry=0x7fff4046d418)
      at tablecmds.c:2811
#2  0x00005606fbccd764 in DefineRelation (stmt=stmt@entry=0x5606fe26a130,
relkind=relkind@entry=114 'r', ownerId=10,
ownerId@entry=0, typaddress=typaddress@entry=0x0,
      queryString=queryString@entry=0x5606fe2695c0 "CREATE TABLE t3() INHERITS(t1,
t2);") at tablecmds.c:885
This bug existed even before the refactoring.Happens because strcmp()
is called on NULL input (t2's compression is NULL). I already have a
fix for this and will be posting it in [1].

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/24656cec-d6ef-4d15-8b5b-e8dfc9c833a7%40eisentraut.org

Now that that fix is closed with RwF [1], shouldn't this crash issue be
added to Open Items for v17?
(I couldn't reproduce the crash on 4d969b2f8~1 nor on REL_16_STABLE.)

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/47/4813/

Best regards,
Alexander