On Wed, May 08, 2024 at 09:00:10PM +0300, Alexander Korotkov wrote:
> On Fri, May 3, 2024 at 4:32 PM Alexander Korotkov <aekorot...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> > > I tried to reproduce it at fcf80c5d5f~, but couldn't.
> > > I don't see how that patch would fix it anyway.
> > > I'm hoping Alexander can confirm what happened.
> >
> > This problem is only relevant for an old version of fix [1], which
> > overrides schemas for new partitions.  That version was never
> > committed.
>
> Here are the patches.
> 0002 Skips copying extended statistics while creating new partitions in
> MERGE/SPLIT
>
> For 0002 I'd like to hear some feedback on wordings used in docs and comments.

commit message:

Currenlty => Currently
partiions => partitios
copying => by copying

> However, parent's table extended statistics already covers all its
> children.

=> That's the wrong explanation.  It's not that "stats on the parent
table cover its children".  It's that there are two types of stats:
stats for the "table hierarchy" and stats for the individual table.
That's true for single-column stats as well as for extended stats.
In both cases, that's indicated by the inh flag in the code and in the
catalog.

The right explanation is that extended stats on partitioned tables are
not similar to indexes.  Indexes on parent table are nothing other than
a mechanism to create indexes on the child tables.  That's not true for
stats.

See also my prior messages
ZiJW1g2nbQs9ekwK@pryzbyj2023
Zi5Msg74C61DjJKW@pryzbyj2023

I think EXCLUDE IDENTITY can/should now also be removed - see 509199587.
I'm not able to reproduce that problem anyway, even before that...

--
Justin