On Thu, May  9, 2024 at 06:00:24PM +0800, jian he wrote:
> On Thu, May 9, 2024 at 12:04 PM Bruce Momjian <br...@momjian.us> wrote:
> >
> > I have committed the first draft of the PG 17 release notes;  you can
> > see the results here:
> >
> >         https://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-17.html
> >

> another potential incompatibilities issue:
> ALTER TABLE DROP PRIMARY KEY
>
> see:
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/202404181849.6frtmajobe27%40alvherre.pgsql

I see it now, and I see Alvaro Herrera saying:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/202404181849.6frtmajobe27%40alvherre.pgsql

        > I wonder is there any incompatibility issue, or do we need to say
something
        > about the new behavior when dropping a key column?

-->     Umm, yeah, maybe we should document it in ALTER TABLE DROP PRIMARY KEY
-->     and in the release notes to note the different behavior.

However, I don't see it mentioned as a release note item in the commit
message or mentioned in our docs. I suppose the release note text would
be:

        Removing a PRIMARY KEY will remove the NOT NULL column specification

        Previously the NOT NULL specification would be retained.

Do we have agreement that we want this release note item?

--
  Bruce Momjian  <br...@momjian.us>        https://momjian.us