On Tue, May 14, 2024 at 11:08 AM Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> According to https://commitfest.postgresql.org/48/4746/ this patch set
> needs review, but:
>
> 1. Considering that there have been no updates for 5 months, maybe
> it's actually dead?

I've withdrawn this patch from the commitfest.  I had been waiting for
some resolution on "Add new protocol message to change GUCs for usage
with future protocol-only GUCs" before I rebased/refactored this one,
because this would be introducing the first protocol extension so far,
and that discussion appeared to be working out some meaningful issues
on how GUCs and protocol parameters should interact.  If you think it
is worthwhile to proceed here though, I am very happy to do so. (I
would love to see this feature actually make it into postgres; it
would almost certainly be a big efficiency and cost savings win for
how my company deploys postgres internally :) )

> 2. I still think it needs to be more clear how the interface is
> supposed to work. I do not want to spend time reviewing a patch to see
> whether it works without understanding how it is intended to work --
> and I also think that reviewing the patch in detail before we've got
> the user interface right makes a whole lot of sense.

Regarding the interface, what I had originally gone for was the idea
that the naming of the options was from the perspective of the side
you were setting them on.  Therefore, when setting `libpq_compression`
as a server-level GUC, `compress` would control if the server would
compress (send compressed data) with the given algorithm, and
`decompress` would control if the the server would decompress (receive
compressed data) with the given algorithm.  And likewise on the client
side, when setting `compression` as a connection config option,
`compress` would control if the *client* would compress (send
compressed data) with the given algorithm, and `decompress` would
control if the the *client* would decompress (receive compressed data)
with the given algorithm.  So for a client to pick what to send, it
would choose from the intersection of its own `compress=true` and the
server's `decompress=true` algorithms sent in the `ParameterStatus`
message with `libpq_compression`.  And likewise on the server side, it
would choose from the intersection of the server's `compress=true`
algorithms and the client's `decompress=true` algorithms sent in the
`_pq_.libpq_compression` startup option.  If you have a better
suggestion I am very open to it though.

--
Jacob Burroughs | Staff Software Engineer
E: jburrou...@instructure.com