On 14.05.24 01:11, Tom Lane wrote:
The mechanism that Andres describes for sourcing the name seems a bit
overcomplex though.  Why not just allow/require each extension to
specify its name as a constant string?  We could force the matter by
redefining PG_MODULE_MAGIC as taking an argument:

        PG_MODULE_MAGIC("hstore");

We kind of already have something like this, for NLS. If you look for pg_bindtextdomain(TEXTDOMAIN) and ereport_domain(), this information already trickles into the vicinity of the error data. Maybe the same thing could just be used for this, by wiring up the macros a bit differently.