Hi,

The ident server we currently use is pidentd 3.0.16
from :
http://www.lysator.liu.se/ or
ftp://ftp.lysator.liu.se/pub/ident/servers

I am looking to see if Solaris has an ident server but have not
found it.

Gan

At 8:21 pm +0100 2003/12/6, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 02:09:25PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
[ moved to -hackers ]

 Bruce Momjian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
 >> We are also wonder if there is a version of Ident server
 >> that the PostgreSQL community knows that will work
 >> with IPv6.

 > That is the big question.  I would think Solaris ships with one, but
 > maybe not.  Is 7.4/Solaris/ident not a workable combination?  Folks?

Has anyone tested our Ident support under IPv6 on *any* OS?

 Right offhand I don't see anything in the RFC 1413 protocol that would
 break in moving from IPv4 to IPv6, but that doesn't mean there isn't
 anything.  One issue that catches my eye is that RFC 1413 assumes that
 "port number" is a unique identifier of a connection within a particular
 host; that assumption might be shaky in a system that's got multiple IP
 addresses.  (In particular I wonder whether IPv4 and IPv6 will share a
 common port number address space on a system handling both ...)

The tcp connection is two ip/port combinations. The ident connection should use the same ip address as the other end connected too, and says which port numbers, so you know the combination.

I haven't tried it ident using postgresql, but I did for other
things and I know it works there.

Kurt

| Seum-Lim GAN                 email : [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |
| Lucent Technologies                                    |
| 2000 N. Naperville Road, 6B-403F  tel : (630)-713-6665 |
| Naperville, IL 60566, USA.        fax : (630)-713-7272 |
|       web : http://inuweb.ih.lucent.com/~slgan         |