Hello,

Bopolissimus Platypus wrote:

> hello all,
>
> I've got a question about what's got to be a common problem.
> I'm sort of doing a survey to see how others have solved this
> problem before so that I can choose one that's best for me.
>
> Basics:
>     The software is a web based data entry system.
>     Sessions are maintained (so that users don't have to
>          login after every database operation, and for
>          security - users can only perform actions that
>          are allowed to their login or group0.
>
> Use Case:
> 0.   User A loads Record R.
> 1.   User B loads the same Record R.
> 2.   User B edits and saves Record R.
> 3.   User A edits and saves Record R.
>
>     at this point, User B's changes are probably lost either
>     in whole or in part.
>
> I can think of at least two or three ways to deal with this, but
> the two are ugly hacks that I'd rather avoid and the third risks
> running out of a vital and limited resource.
>
> The simplest solution I can think of would have the backend
> system start a transaction for A, at step 0.  the transaction
> would end at step 3.  User B would also try to start a
> transaction but since User A's transaction is still running,
> B would block until A ends it or rolls it back (since A is holding
> a lock).  for databases that don't have transactions, we would
> use record locking.
>
> The problem with this, of course, is that step 0 and step 3
> don't occur during the same HTTP request, so the transaction
> (or the locks) would have to be held/remembered between
> requests.  Further, the user need not actually save the record.
> he might just be viewing it.  After he's done, he might just
> close the browser.  So there would have to be a timeout
> so that locks would expire after a while.
>
> using SQL transactions as outlined above is messy but
> doable (there would be a middle-tier application layer that
> the PHP calls instead of calling database access functions
> directly).  i don't like it though because transactions are
> one per connection.  each possible database update
> would require a separate socket connection to the
> database.  and if our timeout is liberal (e.g., 30 minutes),
> then we're going to run out of sockets very quickly.

The solution is to pass data between pages and only commit it when you
are done with all the data that you need to grab from the user.
Transactions can't be kept between HTTP requests, but you can pass data
between pages so you keep the choices of the user that reaches to the
end of your process.

You may want to take a look at this multi-page forms that may help you
to keep data between forms that can be walked back and forth.

http://phpclasses.upperdesign.com/browse.html/package/108

Regards,
Manuel Lemos