Ricky,

Compile --with-sybase will give you an older TDS support, and allow you to
use the sybase_functions with MS SQLServer 6 and 7.

If you need to connect PHP on Unix to MS SQLServer 2000 you will want to use
ODBC.
Howto's are available on preparing PHP with ODBC at www.iodbc.org.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Andrew Hill
Director of Technology Evangelism
OpenLink Software  http://www.openlinksw.com
Universal Data Access & Data Integration Technology Providers