Hi,

You can indeed use ODBC, and that will get around some issues that FreeTDS
has with SQLServer 2000.
Some ODBC drivers are slow, but you will find OpenLink's drivers to be
exceptionally fast.

To use ODBC, you will need to link PHP against iODBC as per the howto at
www.iodbc.org
The drivers are available as a free download (2-connection license) from
www.openlinksw.com

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Andrew Hill
Director of Technology Evangelism
OpenLink Software  http://www.openlinksw.com
Universal Data Access & Data Integration Technology Providers