if i'm reading right, you could use a join to get all of that info.

select users.group_id, user_id, user_name,  groups.group_name from users
inner join groups on (groups.group_id = users.group_id) group by
users.group_id
parens not needed, it just makes it more legible.

that should give you an array, if used with mysql_fetch_array of:
group_id - user_id - user_name - group_name -
       1                   1                Tom                      Blue
       1                   2                Nancy                  Blue
       1                   3                Jim                        Blue
       2                   4                Bob                       Red

etc.....

jd

                    "Rankin, Randy"

                    <randy.rankin@inv       To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    ensys.com>              cc:

                                            Subject:     [PHP-DB] Confused

                    09/23/2002 07:38

                    AM

I have two MySQL tables, groups and users:

   groups: group_id, group_name
   users:   user_id, user_name, group_id, etc.

I would like to produce one table for each group which will list all the
members for that particular group. For example:

   Blue (group_id 1)
       Tom (group_id 1)
       Nancy (group_id 1)
       Jim (group_id 1)

   Red (group_id 2)
       Bob (group_id 1)
       Susan (group_id 1)
       James (group_id 1)

My question is, do I need to run 2 queries? The first to select all the
groups and the second to select all the users in each group based on the
group_id? How would I loop through to create a table for each group?

Thanks inadvance for any help.

Randy Rankin