Since this is the PHP DB list, I can tell you this -- you would be better
off performance-wise replacing the "*" in "select * from" and replacing it
with a list of the columns (even if it is all of them) than you would
putting all of that on one line.

$r = rand(0,7)*-1;
$s = abs($r);

is as fast as (maybe a few CPU cycles, but when you're talking 2GHz
processor, eh)

$s = abs(rand(0,7)*-1);

The second is probably more elegant, but then again, you still have to
check to see what $data contains -- the DB might not have returned a row
(for some unknown reason).

Optimize DB calls before compacting variables.  I'm all about writing
compact optimized code, but your DB calls and DB layout (indexes and
queries mostly, but also table design) cost the most performance-wise and
you're better off spending time getting them better.

I highly recommend:
http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/manual_MySQL_Optimisation.html#Estimating_performance

Peter