Tris,

Here's what I found on infoworld.com in a very limited search (dated
1/12/04). There is info in there that should provide you with other avenues
of research to clarify your company's responsibility. Here is a relevant
excerpt:

"CAN-SPAM [went into effect Jan 1., 2004] requires that spam e-mail include
a working return e-mail address, a valid postal address for the sending
company, a working opt-out mechanism and a relevant subject line. The law
also directs the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC) to study setting up a
national do-not-spam list, similar to the national do-not-call telemarketing
list now in effect."

And the relevant link:
http://infoworld.com/article/04/01/12/HNspamcomply_1.html

So, in a not-so-thorough examination, it does not look like an "opt-in" link
is required. Although, it would seem that the Federal Trade Commission's
website (www.ftc.com) should provide additional info for the US.

HTH,
Rich