Yeah, I prefer the ... '".$_POST["varname"]."' ... syntax primarily because
of the way my editor (EditPlus) highlights the code. I tried the braces
syntax in EditPlus and it doesn't highlight the same way. I'll check out the
editors you guys (Jason and Jeffrey) use to see if I like them and maybe
I'll switch (especially if they're free :) ).

I'll admit, the whole quote-dot syntax thing is a bigger pain than the
braces syntax. But I'm not aware of any performance or security issues
related to the use of quote-dot notation. If there are any, I'd certainly
like to be made aware of them. However, I think it comes down to issues of
personal preference and the coding standards of your individual corporate
environment or client.