At 03:02 09-04-2004, Jochem Maas wrote:
Justin Patrin wrote:

Sounds alot more like advertising than sanity ... there's not much
trickery in using the mail() function ... only if you want to attach
files can it get a bit tricky (encoding the file and inserting the
result), but in reality, there's not much in using that function
properly ...

you'll find that phpmailer is a quite nice wrapper for the mail function - it presents 1 clear object interface and handles all the mundane tasks of CC, BCC, Attachments, Encoding, MIME etc. I have been using it for quite sometime now. just drop 2 files into your project include/class directory and your pretty much off using a simple Mailer object.

I think advertising is a bit harsh considering it free software. I usually interested in what people think are good tools/classes, even if its the writer (is that even the case here?). let the code speak for itself.

I meant more the wording in that paragraph ... to me it sounds like someone that's given up figuring out how to do it himself. I've always learned, in the classic programming, that you need to learn how it's done, before you start using others code to do the work. In my oppinion, if you use a module you don't fully understand how works, or why it works how it does, then you'll never be able to take full advantage of it, or know what to do if/when errors occurs.

<incitement_to_riot>
code re-use is good right? which is why ideas like PEAR a good for everyone. and in the interest of starting a flame war (which there seems to be a bit of going around lately) I'll say that IMO most of PEAR (incl. the core is bloatware) and that PHP5 will make alot of it redundant, they should tear down all but the package manager and a few the gems and start again.
</incitement_to_riot>

Actually ... in school ("Advanced Computer Studies" = programming/system development) we basically learn that "copy/paste is the most important function for a programmer" ... despite the crudeness of that statement, it's just a matter of saying that we shouldn't rewrite everything everytime, but try to reuse as much of the code as entirely possible ... so yes, code reuse is good, but if you don't understand the code you reuse, you're not really benefitting much of it (other than ending in the same category as script-kiddies)...

Rene

--
Rene Brehmer
aka Metalbunny

~ If you don't like what I have to say ... don't read it ~

http://metalbunny.net/
References, tools, and other useful stuff...
Check out the new Metalbunny forums @ http://forums.metalbunny.net/