Peter Beckman wrote: > How do I get connected from a remote PHP+Apache box to Oracle9i on linux?

The current Oracle Instant Client bundle is fine for using PHP on
Windows, but does not have headers for compiling PHP with Oracle
support on other platforms.  An Instant Client SDK with headers is
coming soon I'm told, so scenarios like yours will be made a lot
simpler.

In the meantime, to link with Oracle 9i drivers, download the
"Oracle9i Database Release 2", run the installer and choose the
"Client" option.  Without knowing your hardware, I'd guess along with
you that you want the 9.2.0.4 bundle marked "Enterprise/Standard
Edition for Linux New".

For Oracle 10g drivers download the "Oracle Database 10g Client
Release", run the installer and choose the "Administrator" option.

I'd go with the 10g option.

There are some documents (including one on PHP/Oracle/Linux) that may
help at http://otn.oracle.com/tech/opensource/index.html

Chris

Peter Beckman wrote:
Folks --

I've been trying to figure out where the Oracle client libraries live, but
I'm confused as hell.

I've read the PHP-DB archives, and everyone keeps talking about installing
the client libraries (libclntsh et al), and how that's all you need for
Oracle 9i PHP support.  Great -- but which options presented horribly by
Oracle do I download?

On this page:

    http://otn.oracle.com/software/products/oracle9i/index.html

It lists:

   Oracle9i Release 2 (9.2.0.4)
        Oracle9i Database Release 2 Enterprise/Standard Edition for Linux x86-64 New
(03-May-04)
        Oracle9i Database Release 2 Enterprise/Standard Edition for Linux New
(26-Mar-04)

    Oracle9i Release 2 (9.2.0.2)
        Oracle9i Database Release 2 Enterprise/Standard/Personal/Client Edition for
Windows XP 2003/Windows Server 2003 (64-bit)
        Oracle9i Database Release 2 Enterprise/Standard Edition for HP-UX/IA64
(v9.2.0.2)
        Oracle9i Database Release 2 Enterprise/Standard Edition for HP Alpha OpenVMS
        Oracle9i Database Release 2 Enterprise/Standard Edition for Linux/IA64,
Release 2 (v9.2.0.2)

    Oracle9i Release 2 (9.2.0.1)

        Oracle9i Database Release 2 Enterprise/Standard/Personal/Client Edition for
Windows Server 2003 (32-bit)
        Oracle9i Database Release 2 Enterprise/Standard/Personal Edition for Windows
NT/2000/XP
        Oracle9i Database Release 2 Enterprise/Standard Edition for Sun SPARC Solaris
(32-bit)
        Oracle9i Database Release 2 Enterprise Edition for Sun SPARC Solaris (64-bit)
        Oracle9i Database Release 2 Enterprise/Standard Edition for HP-UX
        Oracle9i Database Release 2 Enterprise/Standard Edition for Compaq Tru64
        Oracle9i Database Release 2 Enterprise/Standard Edition for AIX
        Oracle9i Database Release 2 Enterprise/Standard Edition for AIX-Based 5L
Systems
        Oracle9i Database Release 2 Enterprise Edition for Linux/390
        Oracle9i Database Release 2 Client for Windows 98/NT/2000/XP

    Oracle9i Release 2 - Developer's Releases
        Oracle9i Database Release 2 for IBM Power based Linux New! [01-Dec-03]
        Oracle9i Developer Release 1 (9.2.0.3.0) for Linux / AMD64
        Oracle9i Database Release 2 Enterprise Edition for Apple Mac OS X Version 10.2
Jaguar

    Oracle9i Release 1 (9.0.1)
        Oracle9i Release 1 (9.0.1) Enterprise Edition (all platforms)
        Oracle9i Personal Edition for Microsoft Windows 98

    Oracle9i Release 1 - Developer's Releases
        Oracle9i Enterprise Edition for z/Linux, Release 1 - Developer's Release

I'm running Linux RH Enterprise 3 on this server, and the Oracle box is
remote.  My original assumption is to download the second link, 9iR2 for
Linux.  However, this is 1.5GB worth of a download for three friggin
drivers.  What the hell?

All of the clients are for Windows, Even the 9.0.1 release is 1.1GB.

What do I need to download from Oracle to get the drivers for PHP?  Please
don't just say "go to otn.oracle.com and download the client" because I've
been there and cannot for the life of me find it.

I don't have the ability to display X Windows remotely, so whatever
solution has got to be command line.  I'm at my wits end!

I've installed Instant Client, so I have the 10g libraries:
    /usr/lib/oracle/10.1.0.2/client/lib --> ll
    total 109664
    drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Jun 14 12:36 ./
    drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root         4096 Jun 14 12:36 ../
    -rw-r--r--    2 root     root      1417242 Feb 23 19:32 classes12.jar
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root         1353 Feb 23 19:32 glogin.sql
    -rwxr-xr-x    2 root     root     13347415 Feb 23 19:32 libclntsh.so.10.1*
    -rw-r--r--    2 root     root      2838283 Feb 23 19:32 libnnz10.so
    -rw-r--r--    2 root     root       969980 Feb 23 19:32 libocci.so.10.1
    -rwxr-xr-x    2 root     root     91345295 Feb 23 19:32 libociei.so*
    -rw-r--r--    2 root     root        96117 Feb 23 19:32 libocijdbc10.so
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       759920 Feb 23 19:32 libsqlplus.so
    -rw-r--r--    2 root     root      1353081 Feb 23 19:32 ojdbc14.jar

How do I get connected from a remote PHP+Apache box to Oracle9i on linux?

Beckman