Ross,

That's correct. From the MyQL manual:

Begin quote ......
In a SELECT statement, each expression is evaluated only when sent to the client. This means that in a HAVING, GROUP BY, or ORDER BY clause, you cannot refer to an expression that involves variables that are set in the SELECT list. For example, the following statement will not work as expected:

mysql> SELECT (@aa:=id) AS a, (@aa+3) AS b FROM tbl_name HAVING b=5;

The reference to b in the HAVING clause refers to an alias for an expression in the SELECT list that uses @aa. This does not work as expected: @aa will not contain the value of the current row, but the value of id from the previous selected row.

The general rule is to never assign and use the same variable in the same statement.
....... end quote

There's more at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Variables.html

So why not: select *, (StkhistMonthqty06 + StkhistMonthqty07 + StkhistMonthqty08) as total
.
. rest of statement ...
.
and total > 0