Use ODBC to use MySQL from either Access or VB  (or any other language!)
MT

At 12:25 PM 12/17/2004, Perry, Matthew (Fire Marshal's Office) wrote:
Here is the problem:

I am currently using MySQL and PHP for this application but have realized
recently that the bulk of my work is setting up three forms (add, view,
modify) for each table I create.  It takes hours for each table with MySQL
and PHP but takes only minutes with Access.  Also, other office
administrators have been trained in Access instead of MySQL and will not be
able to update my tables directly or set up new forms if I only use MySQL
and PHP.

On the other hand, PHP and ASP are easier and more flexible with user
control options.  Also, directly entering SQL can be much more efficient
than using Access's embedded SQL applications.

I really would like to exploit the advantages of both databases but do not
know the best means by which to do this.  We are creating a standard that
will be followed by everyone in our department and need the best and most
efficient solution possible.  People move around from different positions
constantly and it seems we are making radical changes to our system every
year.  Here are three questions with which I still need help:

1) Would it really make sense to split the data management between two
linked databases (Access and MySQL) or would this just cause problems?
2) If I must use Access, should I use ASP(grrr) instead of PHP?
3) If I must use Access, should I use MS SQL Server(grrr) instead of MySQL?

Thank you all for your time and patience.

- Matthew

-----Original Message----- From: Bastien Koert [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Friday, December 17, 2004 10:01 AM To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: RE: [PHP-DB] mysql to access

it would depend on what you need the app to do...if you are looking to use
access to do reporting and/ or act as a front end, then it may be
feasible...

more details, if you care to share them, may help in this consideration

bastien