Then, is it safe to assume that you can run stored procedures and queries
that don't use a remote linked server?  Fundamentally, I don't know why
PHP would be the problem, since the remote link is established within the
stored procedure. To make sure that it is not a problem with the mssql
extension, you should see if the same problem occurs with the odbc or
odbtp extensions.

-- bob