Yes, I do have all reqd privs.

In fact, as long as a duplicate key situation isnt encountered, I am able
to invoke the stored proc from PHP alright and the record gets saved in the
database.

But when I try to re-do it using the same value (thereby I am expecting
that 1062-DUPLICATE KEY error will be thrown and caught by PHP), I dont get
any error from PHP!

In mysql client or MySQL Workbench, I do see the error. when I invoke the
stored proc.

Thanks,
Venkat