ok each product could have a category but also a group attatched to it, so
each group red, blue, green has an id so each product is joined to a group
with the primary key of the group like

products.php?productID=1&groupID=1 for red
products.php?productID=1&groupID=2 for blue

etc ...

and for getting categories

products.php?catID=1

etc ..