Hi,

I'm trying to figure out if the version of php that I am running is secure
against all known exploits and I am finding that task very difficult.  I
haven't been able to find a security page on either http://www.php.net/ or
http://www.zend.com/

My questions are:

- is php 4.2.3 vulnerable to any known security issues?

- what is the meaning of php's versioning scheme?  I see from the changelogs
  that features are added throughout the 4.x branches.  I am used to schemes
  where 4.2.x would be feature frozen with just bu and security fixes being
  applied.

- is the 4.3.x branch the only one that is being maintained?

I do not relish moving my servers from 4.2.3 to 4.3.? since I have encountered
enough problems already with the move from 4.0.6 to 4.2.3.  Most of the
problems were from sloppy coding that should never have worked but hey it did
work with 4.0.6 and does not work with 4.2.3.  If the code were all mine I
wouldn't be so concerned but I don't want to be telling clients every 6-12
months, that we're upgrading their php version and that things might break
for them.

Is there an official policy as to how long a branch is supported?  PHP 4.2.0
is just over a year old, php 4.2.3 about 6 months old ...

Thanks,
--
Fraser Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                 http://www.wehave.net/
Brampton, Ontario, Canada                                 Debian GNU/Linux