<<I need it to echo out a table with all the A's first, then a blank line,
then all the B's, a blank line and so on. I could write 26 different
queries, one for each letter of the alphabet, but surely there is a tidier
way.>>

Do a query, sorting by the field you need alphabetized. Then do this (and
tidy it up as you need):

echo "<table>";
while($result = mysql_fetch_row$(query)) {
   if(substr($result, 0, 1) != $previousfirstletter) {
      $previousfirstletter = substr($result, 0, 1);
   }
}

echo "</table>";

It's untested, but I believe it will work.