On Thursday 12 February 2004 08:26 am, Michal wrote:
> Great idea. Can I use a keyboard and bar code scanner together? How to use
> a keyboard, if i connect a scanner into a keyboard port?
>
> Michal

You use a thing called a wedge. It plugs into your keyboard port on your
computer. Then you plug in the keyboard and the scanner into the wedge. You
must program your PHP to not look for "submit" buttons. You also need a
browser that will submit a page when you press enter in a field.

You can also get scanners with USB connections that work like keyboards.

We've written a Warehouse Management System using these devices and a barcode
printer. It's written in PHP and uses MySQL database. We use walkabout
computers connected to the forklifts and cherrypickers. It's been working
great now for almost a year now.

James Hicks