On Thursday 16 September 2004 06:14, Sam Hobbs wrote:

[quote from another Sam Hobbs post]
> I am the original poster. The reason I avoid doing things like that is
> because it is a guess. It should not be necessary; the firewal should not
> be relevant. Sometimes people suggest things that are not likely to be a
> solution but are easy to suggest.
[end quote]

> Apparently there is a problem with the internet being accessed. I tried to
> determine the problem but it is not clear. What I did to try to diagnose
> the problem is that I deleted from ZoneAlarm the configuration for the
> relevant programs. For those not familiar with ZoneAlarm, I essentially
> removed from it anything it knew about Apache, MySQL and php. I thne tried
> the
> mysql_connect, and ZoneAlarm asked if Apache could access the internet.
> However it behaved differently, depending on whether I was using an account
> with administrator privileges. If I was using administrator privileges,
> Apache tried to connect to address 0.0.0.0. If I was not using
> administrator privileges, Apache tried to connect to the DNS server
> address. However there are more details so assuming this is a bug I need to
> coordinate with someone to determine how to diagnose this.
>
> By removing Apache, MySQL and php from ZoneAlarm and then allowing Apache
> to access the internet when I did the mysql_connect, I am able to connect.
> I assume that this is not how it should be.

So now are you fully convinced it's your firewall that's the root of your
problem?

1) How are you connecting using mysql_connect()? Do you use IP addresses or
hostnames?
2) What are your exact connection parameters when connecting as an "admin
user"?
3) What are your exact connection parameters when connecting as an "normal
user"?