Stephen Craton wrote:
This is slightly off topic, but I feel it's a little something that's worthy
of discussion here. I've been interested in running CVS for a while now, but
being on a Windows machine is holding me back somewhat, and I'm not entirely
sure CVS is even something I need.

Basically, I have some computers, mostly my laptop and desktop, and I want
to be able to sync them based on version controlling, much like CVS, but I'm
not sure if it's too advanced or not.

My basic question is: What do you do, if anything, for syncing/version
control between your computers for your web development projects?

There are many solutions, but better than using a constant version control system like CVS or subversion is to use cvs/subversion for development only. When things seem to be working, make a release tag, and bundle up that code as a package. You can either zip it up and unzip on the production server, or use the pear installer's built-in capabilities to customize things.

This strategy is much better, because if it turns out a slight difference between your computers breaks the code, you can quickly and easily revert to an earlier release (especially if you use the pear installer). If you use the PEAR installer, you can also use the dependencies feature to split your code up into smaller chunks, making maintenance of large projects even simpler.

use TortoiseCVS, you will never have doubts about how easy it is to use cvs on windows again.

Greg