I'm trying to do a search-and-replace for a certain string (#1) from a bigger
string (#2), take that string (#1), do an SQL search, then do a little fiddling
to make another string (#3), and put that string (#3) back into the big string
(#2) to replace the certain string (#1).

Here's what I need. I have a string such as this:

"Yadda yadda yadda yadda '32'(l) yadda yadda yadda '2'(l) yadda '419'(l)." (#2)

I need to find the strings like '32'(l), '2'(l), and '419'(l), including the
single quotes. Basically a '[0-9]*'(l). This is #1.

Take that string, look up a record in an SQL table based on the number in the
single quotes. Take a field in the record (#3) and replace #1 with it. So
basically, we have:

"Yadda yadda yadda yadda supplanted-string yadda yadda yadda supplanted-string
yadda supplanted-string." (#2)

I really hope I'm explaining this properly, and after a few attempts, I have no
clue where to restart. Does anyone have any ideas how to do this?