Jon M. wrote:
I know it's not necessary, but I still want to know how.

I know in JavaScript, that you declare vars like so:

var = variableName;

So I'm assuming that in PHP you do it like this:

var = $variableName;

the above is wrong.

you can declare variable inside class definition using (php4):

var $varname [ = {default value} ];

but it's not necessery. It's good for documentation.

php5 gives you more control with public, protected and private keywords.

But there doesn't seem to be a single shred of documentation on PHP.net (or in ANY book) that covers this. All they say is that it's good practice, but not necessary. Then they always skip telling you how.

outside of class definitions you declare a variable by assigning it a value, for example:

$myvar = null;

That's it.