Murray @ PlanetThoughtful wrote:
Hi All,

I need to implement the ability to ftp upload files from client machines via
a form in a web application I'm developing.

From reading the PHP help, all I can find to perform this is the POST method
for handling file uploads
(http://au2.php.net/manual/en/features.file-upload.php).

From my perspective, while this seems to work, there are a couple of
drawbacks, most important of which is that it seems you can only do
comparisons of the uploaded file, against the potential that the file has
already been uploaded, once the file has already been uploaded and is
sitting in the server temp directory.

This is a drawback to our application because the files can typically vary
on a daily basis in size from 20mb thru to 400mb, and 400mb seems like a lot
of bandwidth to consume to discover that the file already exists on our
server.

I had hoped there was a way in which I could retrieve stats of the file
being uploaded prior to beginning the upload, to compare against files in
the target directory, so that the application can advise the user that the
file already exists and to give them the option to cancel the upload.

PHP script starts once the upload is finished, but this is not true for some other languages, for example perl.

Another minor drawback is that it seems the Post upload method changes the
file datetime to the datetime of the upload.

Browsers don't send file's modificaton time, so it's not available.

So, can anyone confirm that there is no other way to upload files from a
client machine using a form? (and assuming they don't have an ftp server at
their end).

Cliens need ftp client software, some sort is for sure installed on every machine.