Brian Dunning wrote:
I am using a routine to find 50 random records in a large MySQL database (about a million records) where I generate a list of 50 random unique ID's,

why can't you use the where condition in the above query?

and then use MySQL's "in" command to find them. I can't use "order by rand()" due to its performance hit.

But I have to take it one more step: I want to first limit my found set to those matching a different search criteria, and then find 50 of those.

Anyone? Can this be done all within MySQL, or is it going to require some humongo PHP arrays?