John Taylor-Johnston wrote:
I seem to have a problem with Mozilla or with IE?

echo "<a name=\"".urlencode($mydata->district)."\"></a>";
<a name="Montr%E9al+District+%234"></a>

http://foo.org/_private/directory.php#Montr%E9al+District+%234 works in IE6, but Mozilla will not accept it.

Mozilla does not work. Am I approaching this wrong? Should I create my HTML this way?

echo "<a name=\"".$mydata->district."\"></a>";
<a name="Montréal District #4"></a>

If I do, Mozilla prferes this:

http://foo.org/_private/directory.php#Montr%E9al%20District%20#4
or
http://foo.org/_private/directory.php#Montr%E9al%20District%20%234

IE refuses it and prefers:

http://foo.org/_private/directory.php#Montr%E9al+District+%234

What's my work around? Complain to Mozilla? Same for Firefox BTW. I cannot change my field.

name attribute if type CDATA, so it should not be urlencoded, but htmlspecialchars used instead.

But this is not necessery because of other restrictions for name and id attributes:

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/types.html#type-cdata