Neil Doody wrote:
Is there anything in PHP which would allow me to check the requested range of bytes by an client?

Basically one of the download scripts I made some time ago got hit by a load of requests for a file, but the server was giving back "416 Requested Range Not Satisfiable". I assume that the user is trying to use a download agent of some kind, but this was killing my server by soaking up all the memory with all these requests. What I wanted to do was check this request and then drop the connection straight away, if it seems suspect, is this possible?

Try http://pear.php.net/package/HTTP_Download