Computer Programmer wrote:
Is there a PHP built-in function to retrieve only the alphanumeric characters from a given string?

I know that I can check for alphanumeric characters using the function ctype_alphanum () but it won't retrieve the alphanum characters.

I also know that I can use str_replace to replace an array of special characters such as the example below:

$str = "I*m using <html tags> with special/chars like | how to get rid of it???";
$str = str_replace ($removeChars, "", $str);

However, could there be a specific function for just retrieving alphanumeric characters? or a specific function for just stripping special characters? Or maybe a better way to do those things from the example given above?

$str = preg_replace('/[^a-z0-9]/i', '', $str);