If you want to receive e-mails from the outside, yes, you'll have to
register a domain, configure an MTA to work on windows and all that
jazz.

Besides, if you want to manage pop, you might as well start looking at
the php4-imap / php5-imap module to be able to work with POP more
easily.

I might be mistaken, but I believe that installing an MTA on your PC
will allow you to send/receive e-mails locally. Not sure if that
suffices for your sittuation though.

Either way, check Jay's google queries. They might give you an insight
on some MTA servers you can use (I had to code a webmail application
once and I found a few free MTA servers, so I believe you'll be able
to do that to without breaking a swet :)

Good luck with your project!