From: Jen Hall [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2001 7:57 AM
To: php3 Mailing List
Subject: [PHP] search results return by relevancy

Hi there
I have some scripts that do a search in a MySQL database
table.
I want to be able to return rows that match a query, in
order of relevancy.
For example, say I have a table that has the following data

|------|-------------------------------------
|  1   |  cat
|  2   |  cat cat
|  3   |  cat cat cat
|  4   |  cat cat
|  5   |  cat cat cat cat cat cat cat
|  6   |  cat
|  7   |  cat cat cat cat
|  8   |  cat cat cat cat cat

I want to do a search that would return row_id 5 first, then

row_id 8, then row_id 7, then 3, etc.
So I want to order the return by relevancy.
What should the sql query look like?
select * from table where data like '%cat%' order by ?????

thanks
-jen