On 10/10/05, M. Sokolewicz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> That will give you the *local* mac address, not that of the user
> visiting your page. The problem is the fact that the mac address is not
> sent as part of the REQUEST. As such it's not possible for PHP to find
> out what it is. So, unfortunately, no. (Though it's a very common
> question on this list)

Normally I would agree, but he said he was running a local intranet server.

arp will work, if you're on the same network as the computer you are
querying, but if not, then arp will give you the mac address of the
router.

arp can be used to get the mac of a certain machine as well(identified
by its IP), as well as listing out the cache of machines that have
recently connected.