I'm sure this is a pretty basic question, but I have searched for a
decent answer and can't find one.

I have a client that want to be able to write newsletters
(newsleters_tbl.email_body) and use fields from his contact table, so
as we grind through the contact list for newsletters subscribers it
may pull out $first_name, or $last_name, or perhaps the address and so
on, and send an individual email and have it in the $email_body field
from another table.

$email_body is a free form text field, and he wants to be able to type
in anything he desires and have it pulled from the contact table.

I've tried with and without addslashes, and htmlentities. Is there a
solution or I will I have to resort to getting him to use
{{$first_name}} etc.

Lastly, if I have to use {{whatever}} then what's the reason I can't
use $field_name in the database?

--
Kind regards,
Liam Delahunty