> > Is there anything you can type at the command line to see
> the drive name
> > info you want?  'LABEL' perhaps?  If not, I do not know of
> any way to get
> > what you are looking for.
>
> LABEL and VOL give the name of the volume (ie of the
> partition), but not the
> drive name.
> Thanks much however for having tryed to help me.

But you didn't answer the important part: "Is there anything you can type at
the command line to see the drive name info you want?"  Because if there is,
you can parse it out.

One last shot.  In the Windows resource kit (
http://download.microsoft.com/download/winntsrv40/rktools/1.0/NT4/EN-US/sp4r
k_i386.Exe ), there is a utility called 'reg.exe' that will allow you to
query the registry and get an answer.  You could find where Windows stores
these drive names in the registry and use reg.exe to dump it out.  Then
parse the output as before.

$drive_names=`reg query HKLM\path\to\arbitrary\drive\names`;

JM