On Mon, January 30, 2006 8:51 pm, Richard Schilling wrote:
> I've been troubleshooting mail for a couple of days and searching
> every
> mail list archive/documentation/etc I could find.  Hoping someone can
> help me troubleshoot my mail sending problem.  I can't get the PHP
> mail
> function to send mail properly - even to addresses on the local host.
>
> I'm using Apache with PHP and sendmail.  I've verified the following:
>
> 1. sendmail properly receives and sends e-mail
> 2. aliases are setup properly and translated fine when receiving
> incoming e-mail from the Internet.
>

> Here's what happens (two problems):
>
> calling mail() with an aliased address from PHP causes sendmail to
> respond with the following error in /var/log/maillog:
>
>       Jan 30 18:09:17 cognitiongroup sendmail[40125]: k0V29HhI040125:
> k0V29HhJ040125: DSN: User unknown
>
>       As I mention above, when sending e-mail to the address in question
> via
> SMTP to the same sendmail server the mail is received fine.
>

> If I have mail() send e-mail to an un-aliased address, sendmail says
> the
> mail is delivered but it doesn't show up in the mail box.

Can you login as root and su to the PHP user (Apacher User in
httpd.conf) and then use "mail" on the command line to send mail to
the same addresses that PHP is sending to?

This probably most closely approximates what PHP is doing, and may
help uncover the issue.

I'd *GUESS* your sendmail.cf file is fargled somewhere...

Or perhaps the aliases db got corrupted in some subtle way?

Or...

Maybe for some reason the PHP user cannot read all the
files/directories it needs to be able to read for aliases to work, or
something like that, which does not appear when you run your tests as
other users.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm