Richard Lynch wrote:
On Mon, January 30, 2006 8:08 pm, Tod Thomas wrote:

I just built phpV5.1.2 with the same options I used to build php4:

./configure  --prefix=/opt/php5
--with-apxs2=/opt/apache/bin/apxs
--with-mysql=/opt/mysql
--disable-cgi --with-zlib

After make install I had libphp5.so in the ./apache/modules directory
as
expected.  I commented out my LoadModule directive for php4 and
uncommented out the directive for php5.  I copied php.ini-dist to
/opt/php5/lib/php.ini and restarted apache.

I expected the test.php page that displays the date, time and the
output
of phpinfo() to work.  Instead it just prints out all of the text,
never
interpreting the code.

When I switch it back to php4 everything works fine.  Neither the
access
or error logs display any problems.  ldd of libphp5.so shows everthing
as resolved.  The apache user owns that lib as well as liphp4.so so no
problems there.  httpd -t says everthing is syntactically correct.
I've
really changed nothing other than the library and its name in
httpd.conf.

What else could I be doing wrong?  Is there something I can try to
debug
and get it to tell me what's up?

I think your add-handler would only work for PHP as CGI...

#LoadModule php4_module        modules/libphp4.so
LoadModule php5_module        modules/libphp5.so
AddHandler php-script .php

These are the only php directives I have in my httpd.conf. The only change I've made is to comment out the php4 and add the php5 directive. The AddHandler never changed. I also had not compiled php4 with cgi capabilities, the same as I did with php5 above.

I've heard from a trusted source that they had a lot of problems with php5, including mysql 4* not working with it and ended up reverting back the php4* series. I'm considering that now but I thought that since 5 has been out for a while; and since its oop capabilities have been improved, I would like to stick with it.

I'll continue to look into it...

Thanks - Tod