I have an application that delivers files to the client browser. These files a very large video files. 250mb+ each. I have two options: 1) I could have PHP deliver the file with "fread", or 2) I could have PHP present a link to the file. However, for security purposes, I would rather not have the actual files available. I suppose I could have PHP create temporary symbolic links on the file system that link to the files in question and then remove the links, thus requiring the users to go through an authentication process to retrieve files that are assigned to them.

Anyway, downloading such large files causes PHP to balk with size limitation errors. I could increase the size limit and memory limit settings in "php.ini", but for file sizes that large, is it recommended? Are there "best practice" limits on these settings: max_input_time, memory_limit, max_execution_time, etc.?

Thanks,
Jonathan